ETD Submission Process
Summary: Within two (2) weeks of your thesis or dissertation defense, submit a completed Thesis and Dissertation Approval Form; upload your ETD; and submit applicable supporting documentation (e.g., copyright permissions, IRB approval or exemption notices, Survey of Earned Doctorates).
See the Graduate School's Graduation Requirements and Commencement Deadlines for dates and deadlines
Steps to Submitting an ETD
- Gather all the files that comprise the ETD.
- Naming the file(s): You MUST name your file(s) with these 3 elements
Doe_JA_T_2008 is an example of a Masters student named Jane Anne Doe who defended her thesis in 2008.
- Document type: T or D for a Thesis or Dissertation
- Year of defense
The generic file name format is <Last name>_<first (and) middle initials>_T or D_<yyyy of defense>
If you have more than one PDF file or additional multimedia files, number them sequentially (e.g., f1, f2, f3, etc.). Examples are at this FAQ.
- Go to the ETD submission website (an external Web site not maintained by DLA). Please email questions about submissions to the Graduate School: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Login with your Virginia Tech PID and password.
- The Graduate School will send an email with instructions if changes are needed.
- After your ETD is approved, you and your committee will receive email notification from the Graduate School.
- Your ETD will be accessible to the community you stipulated.
ETD Submission Checklist
- One PDF/A-1b file named according to the convention specified above.
- A separate file with a) Copyright letters of permission, fair use determination, and/or public domain statement, whatever is appropriate b) IRB approval memo(s) if appropriate
- Separate media files (audio and video)
- Thesis and Dissertation Approval form with original signatures
- ProQuest Agreement Form--dissertation authors only